As an extremely innovative Company, patent portfolio generation is seen as a major tool in helping Ericsson achieve its commercial objectives. The Company has more than 49,000 granted patents and files more than 1500 new priority applications each year.
Ericsson's IPR & Licensing organization is responsible for Ericsson's global Intellectual Property Rights (IPR) program and works closely with Ericsson's research and standardization organizations to secure technology and intellectual property leadership for Ericsson.
The IPR & Licensing organization is a global organization with its headquarters in Stockholm, Sweden. It incorporates 12 major offices (patent units) in SE, CA, DE, UK, USA, China and other offices worldwide with more than 160 patent attorneys, licensing managers, portfolio managers and support staff.
Currently, the IPR & Licensing organization is looking for a patent professional with strong technical background to strengthen our patent activities in China.
Ericsson China has R & D in several different geographical locations, the main being Beijing, Shanghai, Nanjing, and Guangzhou.
A Patent Professional within the Patent Development Organization is responsible for all aspects of patent portfolio management. In addition to evaluating invention disclosures and filing patent applications, the candidate will also be responsible for all aspects of prosecution and maintenance of patent portfolio.
Ericsson's IPR program maintains a heavy business focus and requires commercially oriented individuals. Of equal importance is the requirement of working with the Licensing Department where appropriate.
The Patent Professional will also be required to coordinate external attorneys globally and advise on the commercial application of the patent portfolio.
Consequently, an excellent working relationship must be established with intellectual property representatives and colleagues within the global IPR & Licensing department.
The Patent Attorneys at Ericsson enjoy a high level of autonomy and authority in dealing with a broad range of personnel, but equally, will be expected to display commercial qualities and an ability to be proactive in this role.
The key responsibilities of the Ericsson Patent Professional in China will include:
- The identification and protection of patentable inventions. This will involve close working relationships with both inventors and development staff.
- The management and administration of his/her caseload with specific responsibility for:
[a] The filing and prosecution of patent applications.
[b] The nature and extent of the patent protection to be obtained.
[c] Reviewing Ericsson products, technologies and services under all IP aspects.
The successful candidate is likely to meet the following criteria:
- Possess an excellent educational background, having reached degree or doctorate level in physics, information technology, electrical or electronics engineering or industrial engineering, or a discipline related to the telecommunications sector.
- Strong technical background with R&D experience is preferred.
- Formal CN Patent Attorney qualification is preferred. Preferably also foreign (EU or US) PA qualification, or other degree from abroad.
- Minimum 5 years work experience.
- A sound commercial understanding of patents and their strategic relevance to the organization.
- Demonstrate knowledge and skills in patent drafting and prosecution in high-tech related technologies.
- Demonstrate exceptional verbal and written presentation skills in English, as the working language of the company is English.
- Strong communication skills and cross-functional co-operation skills
Candidates must also be able to demonstrate they possess the following personal qualities:
- Be highly motivated, with the ability to pro-actively organize their workload.
- Be focused, with an attention for detail that is balanced by common sense and strong analytical skills.
- Possess excellent interpersonal skills with the ability to relate comfortably at all levels within the Company, and personnel from a variety of cultures and backgrounds.
- Good cross-cultural understanding
- Have the ability to work effectively as an integral member of a team. A strong accent on team-based methodology is prevalent within the Company.
- Display a 'hands-on' flexible approach to problems and demands, with the ability to thrive on challenge and react quickly and positively to a fast-moving environment.
- Demonstrate obvious qualities of professionalism, enthusiasm, self-motivation and confidence.
What’s in it for you?
With over 90,000 employees across 180+ countries, we have a culture that respects and supports your ambitions, in alignment with our values of Respect, Professionalism and Perseverance. Ericsson is extremely focused on learning and development, supports mobility and flexible working hours. We are also committed to diversity and inclusion and to be a responsible and relevant driver of positive change. We also offer some awesome benefits, amazing career development and training programs to provide an empowered career in a connected world.
What happens next once you apply? Read about the next steps here
Ericsson provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetics.
Ericsson complies with applicable country, state and all local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location across the world in which the company has facilities. In addition, Ericsson supports the UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights and the United Nations Global Compact.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and development.
Ericsson expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetic information.
Primary country and city: China (CN) || || Beijing || ProdMgt
Req ID: 316503