Ericsson is one of the leading providers of Information and Communication Technology (ICT) to service providers. We enable the full value of connectivity by creating game-changing technology and services that are easy to use, adopt, and scale, making our customers successful in a fully connected world. Headquartered in Stockholm, Sweden, Ericsson is proud of its global presence across 100+ countries and market areas. With a strong focus on innovation, we possess 49 thousand registered patents and a global strength of over 95 thousand competent professionals. We also take pride in supporting networks that cater to a capacity of 40 percent of the world’s mobile traffic, thereby connecting more than 2.5 billion subscribers and counting. We are a world leader in the rapidly changing environment of communications technology – by providing hardware, software, and services to enable the full value of connectivity.
Ericsson is the world’s leading provider of communications technology and services. Our offerings include services, consulting, software and infrastructure within Information and Communications Technology. Using innovation to empower people, business and society, Ericsson is working towards the Networked Society: a world connected in real time that will open up opportunities to transform society and drive solutions for some of our planet’s greatest challenges.
We are truly a global company, operating across borders in over 180 countries, offering a diverse, performance-driven culture and an innovative and engaging environment. As an Ericsson employee, you will have freedom to think big and the support to turn ideas into achievements. Continuous learning and growth opportunities enable you to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to progress and reach your career goals.
The complexity of emerging 5G networks makes manual management and operations of these networks impossible. AI technologies, including AI Reasoning, are increasingly being used to drive intelligent automation and autonomous operation of 5G networks that will drive economic and social transformation. Towards this, we have setup a Global AI Accelerator (GAIA) in the US, Sweden and India, with 300 experts, to fast-track our strategy execution.
We use a combination of Artificial Intelligence technologies to drive thought leadership to automate and transform Ericsson offerings and operations, including new and emerging business. This includes development of models, frameworks and infrastructure where we not only drive AI based product innovation, but also push the AI technology frontiers. We engage in both academic and industry collaborations and drive the digitalization of Ericsson and the industry by developing state of the art solutions that simplify and automate processes in our products and services and build new value through data driven insights.
Machine Learning can produce highly impactful results, however, to build truly autonomous intelligent systems, we also need symbolic knowledge in our systems. Future applications will use a combination of machine learning and AI reasoning to build truly intelligent and intent based autonomous systems. Further, for mission critical telecom systems, safety and trust in the underlying AI algorithms will be paramount. Responsible AI, which is fast emerging as a major research topic, will be key to address issues around bias, safety, security, explainability and trustworthiness of AI algorithms in telecom systems.
Ericsson is now looking for Principal Data Scientists with a strong background in AI Reasoning for our team in Bangalore.
As a Principal Data Scientist in AI Reasoning, you will build reasoning systems/frameworks for telecom that leverage the vast telecom knowledge base. This will span the range of designing simpler reasoning systems that can operate in near real time in edge/constrained environments to large/complex reasoning systems that can continually analyze the end to end network performance/KPIs to ensure optimal network operation. Such frameworks will incorporate principles of trustworthy AI systems, including safety and explainability. The solutions designed will work at the scale of large telecom systems and be highly reliable. You will interface with business stakeholders to define and formulate the right business problems.
Your knowledge and experience in AI methodologies will be applied to solve challenging real-world problems as part of a highly dynamic and global team. You will work in a highly collaborative environment where you communicate and plan tasks and ideas. You will be working on high impact initiatives with other experts in AI reasoning to drive growth and economic profitability for Ericsson and its customers by accelerating current Ericsson offerings. Your contribution will also help to create new offerings in the areas of AI driven 4G and 5G network, distributed cloud, IoT and other emerging businesses.
- Lead multiple projects with a focus on AI reasoning
- Manage communication, planning, collaboration with business stakeholders.
- Work with huge datasets including petabytes of 4G/5G-networks, IoT and exogenous data
- Model the business problem statement into an AI problem.
- Define the data sourcing strategy and work with stakeholders to procure data.
- Contribute to the AI Intellectual Property creation for Ericsson
- Design APIs for AI/ML models with focus on business, modularity and versioning; and build standard/canonical data models by combining multiple data sources.
- Lead functional and technical analysis within Ericsson businesses and for strategic customers to understand AI-driven business needs and opportunities
- Contribute to rapid and iterative development of validated minimum viable solutions addressing these needs. This includes working with petabytes of 4G/5G-networks, IoT and exogenous data, and proposing/selecting/testing predictive models, recommendation engines, anomaly detection systems, statistical models, deep learning, reinforcement learning and other machine learning systems
- Collaborate with product development teams and partners in Ericsson Businesses to industrialize AI Reasoning frameworks and solutions as part of Ericsson offerings including providing source code, workflows and documents
- Work with new technologies and be the ambassador for them in AI Communities within Ericsson, nurturing the communities and mentoring junior data scientists.
- Provide AI Competence build-up in Ericsson Businesses and Customer Serving Units
- Develop new and apply/extend existing, concepts, methodologies, techniques for cross functional initiatives
- Engage with external ecosystem (academia, technology leaders, open source etc.) to develop the skills and technology portfolio for AI needs
- Present and be prominent in AI related forums and conferences, e.g., publishing patents, presenting papers, organizing sessions etc.
- Bachelors/Masters/Ph.D. in Computer Science, Data Science, Artificial Intelligence, Machine Learning, Electrical Engineering or related disciplines from any of the reputed institutes.
- Applied experience: 8+ years of AI production level experience; and an overall industry experience of about 15+ years.
- Strong knowledge and hands-on experience in one or more of the following areas:
- Probabilistic graphical models - Bayesian networks, Markov networks
- Semantic Graphs/Knowledge graphs, knowledge representation, ontology
- Symbolic AI, logical reasoning
- AI planning, Multi-objective Optimization
- Explainable AI
- Reinforcement Learning
- Experience with logic programming or rule-based systems for knowledge representation & reasoning
- Experience working with semantic web technologies such as RDF/OWL/SPARQL
- Experience working with graph databases
- Strong analytical skills and ability to ability to formulate problems and solve them independently even when the requirements are ambiguous
- Ability to understand the problem domain quickly and ask the right questions
- Strong Programming skills (R/Python) with proficiency in at least one
- Strong grounding in mathematics, probability, statistics needed for data analysis and experiments
- Proven ability to lead AI projects from conception to deployment
- Experience in implementing new algorithms and methodologies from leading open source initiatives and research papers
- Extensive experience in model development and life-cycle-management in one or more industry/application domain
- Experience in Trustworthy AI including safety and building explainable models (XAI)
- Experience in writing and presenting white papers, journal articles and technical blogs on the results
- Good communication skills in written and spoken English
- Great Team worker and collaborator
- Creativity and ability to formulate problems and solve them independently
- Self-driven and ability to work through abstraction
- Ability to build and nurture internal and external communities
- Applications/Domain-knowledge in Telecommunication and/or IoT, a plus.
- Experience with data visualization and dashboard creation is a plus
- Ability to work independently with high energy, enthusiasm and persistence
- Experience in partnering and collaborative co-creation, i.e., working with complex multiple stakeholder business units, global customers, technology and other ecosystem partners in a multi-culture, global matrix organization with sensitivity and persistence
What’s in it for you?
With over 90,000 employees across 180+ countries, we have a culture that respects and supports your ambitions, in alignment with our values of Respect, Professionalism and Perseverance. Ericsson is extremely focused on learning and development, supports mobility and flexible working hours. We are also committed to diversity and inclusion and to be a responsible and relevant driver of positive change. We also offer some awesome benefits, amazing career development and training programs to provide an empowered career in a connected world.
What happens next once you apply? Read about the next steps here
Ericsson provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetics.
Ericsson complies with applicable country, state and all local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location across the world in which the company has facilities. In addition, Ericsson supports the UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights and the United Nations Global Compact.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and development.
Ericsson expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetic information.
Primary country and city: India (IN) || || Bangalore || R&D
Req ID: 292608