Director of Data Science and Engineering- AI
Ericsson has setup Global AI Accelerator (GAIA) unit to accelerate our AI and Machine Learning offerings. This central unit is chartered with the responsibility of building a high-end competence center that brings together a team of high-end Data Scientists, Data Engineers, Software Engineers and Machine Learning Architects towards the goal of enhancing Ericsson’s products and services portfolio with AI capabilities.
We are currently looking for a Director of Data Science and Engineering to be a leader in one of our GAIA units – AINIX (AI-enabled New Initiatives and Cross(x)-Unit Capabilities). The scope of AINIX is executing on initiatives and capabilities that span across units in GAIA and incubate new impactful business and technology initiatives. Key aspect of this is to foster and leverage AI ecosystem (Start-ups, Academia, Technology Leaders, Customers/Industries and Open-Source/De-facto Standards/Initiatives such as LF AI) in Silicon Valley and North America (SV/NA) to create and drive incubation of new products/services and creation of AI capabilities that can span units in GAIA (e.g., Domain-specific Digital Twin, Domain-Specific Knowledge Graph and Reasoning, Capabilities for AI-based real-time decision making and actions for mission-critical cyber-physical systems, Federated AI Marketplaces and Data and Model Marketplaces and Lifecycle Management and domain-centric AI-enabled Security and Privacy, and AI Ethics and Explainability Frameworks).
This position will report into the Head of Global AI Accelerator (GAIA) AINIX in Silicon Valley (Santa Clara or San Francisco) and be part of the unit’s leadership team, supporting, driving and leading initiatives towards achieving the goals of the AINIX. As a leader of AINIX, this role has leadership scope with strong delivery and execution focus. This individual will also serve as a key member of the AINIX’s Think Tank, formulating its vision, mission, goals and driving day-to-day activities to realize them.
As a Leader, you will be responsible for cross-geographical teams with cross-functional responsibilities within Ericsson. You will also contribute to secure Ericsson’s technology and business leadership in the AI domain by way of creating differentiating assets as well as driving market-leading products and services. You will teach, coach, challenge and develop individuals, teams and organizations. You will foster a creative, high-performance and fast learning culture.
- Contribute to AINIX strategy, plans and Objectives and Key Results (OKRs)
- Execute on key initiatives and projects to deliver on AINIX OKRs
- Foster and Interact with SV/NA ecosystem and internal GAIA and other Ericsson teams to define and execute on incubations and cross-unit capabilities projects/initiatives
- Manage teams (data scientists, data engineers, software engineers) to develop feature roadmaps of Cross-Unit assets/capabilities and incubation projects
- Establish WoW and assets that tie together operationalizes and exposes AI/ML capabilities for easy consumption across units in GAIA and Ericsson
- Hire, lead and mentor teams and leaders that develops and assembles these capabilities, in close collaboration with external ecosystem and internal data scientist users/developers
- Operations/SRE of these capabilities at early stages in collaboration with infrastructure and platform operations entities in GAIA
- Participate in building and cultivating relevant external ecosystem and communities
- Produce software assets, IPR, potentially contribute to open source, and external articles
- Contribute to due diligence of potential partners, suppliers, M&E opportunities
- Contribute to internal and external evangelism of Ericsson capability in AI/ML area; blog posts, training, documentation
- Bachelors/Masters in Engineering from a global reputed educational institution. MBA or equivalent Post Graduate Diploma would be an added advantage
- Domain experience in Data Science domain, one or more telecom areas like Radio, Cloud, OSS, BSS, etc.
- Over 15 years of experience in Software Engineering and Product Development
- Experience in successfully delivering capabilities/products that spans multiple units
- Over 5 years of experience in leading/building capabilities in collaboration and co-creation with internal/external ecosystem
- Over 10 years of formal leadership experience and at least 5 years of formal 2nd line leadership experience
- Fluent spoken and written English is a mandatory requirement
- Proven track record of having incubated market-leading products and solutions in collaboration with external/internal ecosystems
- Familiarity and understanding of the full Machine Learning development and deployment work-flow
- Excellent people management skills to attract motivate and retain talent
- Experience with formulating product and technology strategies and concepts
- Possesses sound technical knowledge across multiple domains and has good understanding of business matters. Ability to create plans to align technical strategies with business ambition
- Strong ability to relate to the big picture and to execute on important details in a pragmatic and result-oriented way with ability to challenge when needed
- Coaching & Mentoring Skills
- Proven ability to act at both the strategic and operational levels
- Strong partnering skills, with the ability to work across all levels of the organization and across multiple countries, effectively collaborating with multiple stakeholders
- Excellent communication skills
- Proven track record of engaging with customers (internal and external)
- Knowledge of well-known business practices in different domains
- Negotiation Skills
- Independent, self-motivated and well organized with an analytical mind
- Demonstrably trustworthy (thru reference checks)
- Strong sense of duty and initiative
Candidates interested in applying – please include the following with your application:
- Updated version of your Resume
- Your view of the AI Ecosystem/landscape and how you see it can be leveraged for co-creation and collaborative incubation as well as building/executing on cross-unit capabilities – do not exceed 300 words
- A succinctly crafted write-up that makes a case for your candidature – do not exceed 500 words
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position. Therefore employees assigned may be required to perform additional job tasks required by the manager.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/Disabled/Veterans. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Ericsson provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, protected veteran status, union membership or genetics information. Ericsson complies with applicable country, state and all local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location across the world in which the company has facilities. In addition, Ericsson supports the UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights and the United Nations Global Compact.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and development.
Ericsson expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, protected veteran status, union membership or genetic information.
Ericsson will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by Ericsson or (c) consistent with Ericsson’s legal duty to furnish information.
Employee Polygraph Protection Act Notice - Employers are generally prohibited from requiring or requesting any employee or job applicant to take a lie detector test, and from discharging, disciplining, or discriminating against an employee or prospective employee for refusing to take a test or for exercising other rights under the Act. For more information, visit https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/eppac.pdf.
Ericsson is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified disabled individuals during the application and hiring process. Ericsson will make modifications or adjustments to the job application or interview process that will enable a qualified applicant to be considered for a position. If you require an accommodation due to a disability, please contact Ericsson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 374-2272 (US) or (877) 338-9966 (Canada) for further assistance.
Primary country and city: United States (US) || || Santa Clara || IT