Head of GAIA - AI inspired Maximization (AIM)
Why is Ericsson a great place to work?
Ericsson enables communications service providers to capture the full value of connectivity. The company’s portfolio spans Networks, Digital Services, Managed Services, and Emerging Business and is designed to help our customers go digital, increase efficiency, find new revenue streams, and create new user experiences. Ericsson’s investments in innovation have delivered the benefits of telephony and mobile broadband to billions of people around the world ensuring our solutions – and our customers – are at the forefront of innovation. We support networks that connect more than 2.5 billion subscribers. With over 100,000 employees and customers in 180 countries, we combine global scale with technology and service leadership. 40 percent of the world’s mobile traffic is carried over an Ericsson network. And, our Technology for Good and Connect to Learn programs include creating technology that makes it easier to save lives, feed societies, bring technology to emerging markets and connectivity to remote areas, and grow businesses and prosperity.
At Ericsson, we give our employees the freedom to think big and navigate their career, on a global scale. We create technology that helps others, from helping people enjoy their favourite content to helping people recover from natural disasters by enabling better communications between rescue workers. Your ideas and innovations can turn into achievements that impact society and change the world, creating new connections, new possibilities, and new capabilities. We find that Ericsson is at its best when we bring together the diverse skills of our people. Working across business areas, across cultures, across geographical borders, across technical disciplines. More often than not, across ground-breaking solutions. Next generation technology can be staggeringly complex. But the simpler it is to use; the more people benefit from it. Join us and help build technology that makes it simple to connect with information, business, societies, and each other.
About this position:
Ericsson Global AI Accelerator (GAIA) is a unit that has been set up to accelerate our AI and Machine Learning offerings. This central unit is chartered with the responsibility of building a high-end competence center that brings together a team of high-end Data Scientists, Data Engineers, Software Engineers and Machine Learning Architects towards the goal of enhancing Ericsson’s products and services portfolio with AI capabilities.
We are currently looking for a Director of Data Science and Engineering to lead one of our Global AI Accelerator units – GAIA Functional Area AI-inspired Maximization (FA AIM). This position is based on Kista, Stockholm Sweden
This position will report into the VP of Global AI Accelerator (GAIA) and be part of the unit’s leadership team, supporting, driving and leading strategic initiatives towards achieving the goals of the unit. As the head of one of the most important components of this Accelerator unit, this role has general and broad senior leadership scope with critical strategic deliverables and execution focus. This individual will also serve as a key member of the unit’s Think Tank, formulating its vision, mission, goals and driving day-to-day activities to realize them.
As a Leader, you will lead cross-geographical teams with cross functional responsibilities. You will also contribute to secure Ericsson’s technology leadership in the AI domain by way of creating differentiating assets as well as driving market leadership for our products. You will teach, coach, challenge and develop individuals, teams and organizations. You will foster a creative and learning culture.. This FA is home for AI-inspired Maximization of products and solutions. Typical focus includes operational aspects such as orchestration, scheduling and optimizations to maximize intended outcomes. The scope covers the complete life-cycle of feature & functionality development, from use case definition, systemization, AI/ML functionality prototyping and development to implementation in Ericsson product portfolio.
- Outline and drive strategy for development of Ericsson’s AI maximization portfolio (FA AIM) covering the complete life cycle of the development
- Execute on designing, engineering, operating, enhancing and maintaining of capabilities
- Recruit (from external and internal sources) a team of 40-50 Data Scientists, Data Engineers, ML Engineers and Domain Experts across multiple locations to achieve this objective
- Close cooperation with stakeholders from the Business Areas, product lines and key lead customers
- Support product management in the BA with portfolio roadmap planning and scoping of use cases and AI/ML product & services functionality
- Support the pre-sales activities in customer meetings with presentations and workshops about AI/ML applications & functionality
- Improve and optimize the systemization and implementation process flow for AI/ML applications
- Interact with and engage the user community (data scientists, data engineers, software engineers)
- Produce software assets, IPR, potentially contribute to open source, and external articles
- Contribute to due diligence of potential partners, suppliers, M&A opportunities
- Contribute to internal and external evangelism of Ericsson capability in AI/ML area; blog posts, training, documentation
- Lead and play an active role in selected GAIA projects, internal and external (open source)
- Education: Bachelors/Masters in Engineering from a global reputed educational institution. MBA or equivalent Post Graduate Diploma would be an added advantage
- Broad experience from different functional areas
- Domain experience in Data Science domain, one or more telecom areas like Radio, Cloud, OSS, BSS, etc.
- Over 15 years of experience in Software Engineering and Product Development
- Over 10 years of formal leadership experience and at least 5 years of formal 2nd line leadership experience
- Proven track record of having delivered market-leading products and solutions
- Familiarity and understanding of the full Machine Learning development and deployment work-flow
- Experience working with our locations (North America, Sweden, India) is a plus, experience of having worked in more than one of our locations is a huge plus
- Experience with formulating product and technology strategies and concepts
- Possesses sound technical knowledge across multiple domains and has excellent understanding of business matters. Ability to create plans to align technical strategies with business ambition
- Strong ability to see the big picture and to focus on important details in a pragmatic and result oriented way with ability to challenge when needed
- Proven ability to act at both the strategic and operational levels
- Strong partnering skills, with the ability to work across all levels of the organization and across multiple countries, effectively collaborating with multiple stakeholders
- Excellent people management skills to attract motivate and retain talent
- Excellent communication skills
- Experience with engaging with customers (internal and external)
- Knowledge of well known business practices in different domains
- Coaching & Mentoring Skills
- Negotiation Skills
- Independent, self-motivated and well organized with an analytical mind
- Demonstrably trustworthy (thru reference checks)
- Strong sense of duty and initiative
- Fluent spoken and written English is a mandatory requirement
Candidates interested in applying – please include the following with your application:
- Updated version of your Resume
- Your view of the opportunities and challenges of applying AI/ML in telecom network products and services.
- A succinctly crafted write-up that makes a case for your candidature – do not exceed 500 words
Ericsson provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetics.
Ericsson complies with applicable country, state and all local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location across the world in which the company has facilities. In addition, Ericsson supports the UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights and the United Nations Global Compact.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and development.
Ericsson expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetic information.
Primary country and city: Sweden (SE) || || Stockholm || R&D
Req ID: 285631