Broadcast Operations Engineer
About Red Bee Media
Red Bee Media is the world’s leading Managed Service provider to the media industry. Working with the best media brands in the world, we enrich and ensure media experiences across Playout, Media Management, OTT, Content Discovery, Creative and Access Services.
Every day, people on all continents watch television programs prepared, managed and broadcast by Red Bee Media staff. Every year, the business delivers more than 2.7 million hours of programming in more than 60 languages for nearly 600 TV channels. Its Content Discovery portfolio spans more than 10 million movies and program titles, covering over 25 languages, and includes an image database covering over 90 percent of all programming available across traditional TV, video on demand (VOD) and subscription video on demand (SVOD). It provides over 230,000 hours of captioning each year – more than 100,000 hours of which is live
About Playout & Media Management Operations
The Broadcast Engineer is part of the Playout and Media Management Operations Team, based in the UK. Our clients are the best of the best in the UK and globally. They include: BBC, BBC World News, Channel 4, BT Sport, Channel 5, UKTV and ITV.
Our Broadcast Engineers are responsible for ensuring that the biggest broadcasters remain always on air. You will be part of a 24/7 shift team working with senior engineers to proactively monitor, troubleshoot, analyse performance and upgrade our broadcast systems and will work closely with Playout Operations to ensure a seamless viewing experience for our client’s audience. The role will also include Master Control Room planning and transmission functions for the UK’s biggest live events on the BBC, BT Sport, Channel 4 and ITV.
Including but not limited to:
- Provide system support, maintenance and operational assistance for all the Red Bee Media operations
- Responsible for liaising directly with the customer, assuming ownership of issues through to resolution, carrying out the diagnosis and solving of all technical issues
- Responsible for ensuring technical delivery and quality for:
- Incoming and outgoing video and audio;
- Access Services n specified Linear Services; (Subtitle, AD monitoring, Signing);
- Data services;
- Signalling data (including SCTE);
- Interactive Services;
- Maintenance of knowledge database in relation to all incidents and analysis carried out.
- Identify potential system failures and weaknesses and proactively advise, giving recommendation for course of action.
- The ability to understand and work to agreed Service Level Agreements (SLA’s)
- Liaise with 3rd Parties / Monitor and manage circuits between Red Bee Media (RBM) and their Third-Party providers
- Line up and prepare outside sources for live transmission and record feeds.
- Set up communication 4 wire circuits via ISDN to enable Playout cueing.
- Manage satellite down linking using local satellite receivers and steerable dishes.
- Carry out Risk Assessments, Method Statements, COSHH analysis, Portable Appliance testing, MDU maintenance, Manual Handling and operation of standard and non-standard equipment.
Essential Qualifications and Experience
- Degree in a technical related subject or equivalent experience in this field including proven MCR experience
- Good working knowledge of:
- SAN technologies.
- Virtualisation which include Hyper V or VMware
- SQL databases and network fundamentals
- Windows and Linux operating systems
- Broadcast video formats, protocols, and encoding standards
- Understanding of the workflows and methodologies of Digital Asset Management
- Good interpersonal skills with the ability to liaise effectively with different levels of both Red Bee and third-party excellence
- Ability to organise and prioritise their work ensuring deadlines and service quality are met.
Desirable Qualifications and Experience
- Working experience with the following systems:
- Snell Advanced Media (SAM) routers and automation systems, including Morpheus and ICE.
- Axon modular systems
- Barrcode audio server
- Studer mixers
- Riedel talkback
- Ancillary data types fund in television signals.
- Vide over IP
- Salford MediaCity UK is the primary location
- The role is shift based, working to an agreed rota, which includes nights, weekends and public holidays with occasional short-term changes or overtime requests.
Come and join the Red Bee experts! We are Professional, Innovative and Passionate; are you?
Ericsson provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetics.
Ericsson complies with applicable country, state and all local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location across the world in which the company has facilities. In addition, Ericsson supports the UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights and the United Nations Global Compact.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and development.
Ericsson expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetic information.
Primary country and city: United Kingdom (GB) || || Salford || Consulting&SysInt; IT; ProdMgt; R&D; SalesStratMkt&ComMgt; ServEng; SharedServ; Stud&YP; Supply&Log
Req ID: 284062