Head of GAIA - Technology & Innovation
Ericsson Global AI Accelerator (GAIA) is a unit that has been set up to accelerate our AI and Machine Learning offerings. This central unit is chartered with the responsibility of building a high-end competence center that brings together a team of high-end Data Scientists, Data Engineers, Software Engineers and Machine Learning Architects towards the goal of enhancing Ericsson’s products and services portfolio with AI capabilities.
We are currently looking for a Director of Data Science and Engineering to lead one of our Global AI Accelerator units – GAIA T&I. The best candidate can be from any of our locations – Santa Clara, Montreal, Stockholm, Bangalore, Chennai.
This position will report into the VP of Global AI Accelerator (GAIA) and be part of the unit’s leadership team, supporting, driving and leading strategic initiatives towards achieving the goals of the unit. As the head of one of the most important functions of this Accelerator unit, this role has general and broad senior leadership scope with critical strategic deliverables and execution focus. This individual will also serve as a key member of the unit’s Think Tank, formulating its vision, mission, goals and driving day-to-day activities to realize them.
As a Leader, you will lead cross-geographical teams with cross functional responsibilities. You will also contribute to secure Ericsson’s technology leadership in the AI domain by way of creating differentiating assets as well as driving market leadership for our products. You will teach, coach, challenge and develop individuals, teams and organizations. You will foster a creative and learning culture.
- Outline and drive strategy and execution for Technology & Innovation function to include operational deliverables as well as set up frameworks to trigger and capture innovation within and outside the organization
- Recruit a high-quality team from external and internal sources to realize this ambition
- Engage with various business units and market functions to catalyze activities and portfolio refreshes driven by AI/ML technologies
- Drive the “Quick Study” phase of GAIA Operations – to work hand-in-glove with stakeholders and support GAIA Portfolio Mgmt Head to formulate problem statements before GAIA Data Science teams can take over for execution
- Own prioritization of strategic investments in AI/ML – beyond various engagements driven by the business units and market area functions
- Own GAIA’s interface with other innovation functions like Ericsson Research
- Contribute to the overall ambition of injecting AI and ML competence across Ericsson – through various approaches
- Drive evolution of this core machinery to improve performance, resource efficiency and security
- Build and cultivate an internal ecosystem and community of data science practitioners
- Produce IPR, contribute to open source, and external articles
- Contribute to due diligence of potential partners, suppliers, M&A opportunities
- Contribute to internal and external evangelism of Ericsson capability in AI/ML area; blog posts, training, documentation
- Lead and play an active role in selected GAIA projects, internal and external (open source)
- Bachelors/Masters in Engineering from a global, reputed educational institution. Having gone through formal programs on Innovation management would be a big advantage
- Broad experience in Technology domains and technology trends within the Telecom industry as well as other domains and industries like Enterprise, Transport, Retail, Healthcare, Education, etc.
- Domain experience in Data Science domain, breadth in Telecom/IoT areas like Radio, Cloud, OSS, BSS, Packet Core and depth in at least 2 of the areas
- Over 20 years of experience in Engineering and Product Development – at least 10 of them as a hands-on developer
- A strong portfolio of patents and publications adds immensely to the candidature
- Over 10 years of experience in Technology & Innovation functions with 5+ years of leadership experience.
- Familiarity with relevant standards bodies and open-source forums
- Experience with working in a global environment with a diverse set of stakeholders
- Proven track record of having delivered market-leading products and solutions
- Familiarity and understanding of the full Machine Learning development and deployment work-flow
- Experience working with our locations (North America, Sweden, India) is a plus, experience of having worked in more than one of our locations is a huge plus
- Sound technical knowledge across multiple domains and has excellent understanding of business matters. Ability to create plans to align technical strategies with business ambition
- Strong ability to see the big picture and to focus on important details in a pragmatic and result oriented way with ability to challenge when needed
- Proven ability to act at both the strategic and operational levels
- Excellent people management skills to attract motivate and retain talent
- Experience with engaging with customers (internal and external)
- Knowledge of well-known business practices in different domains
- Coaching & Mentoring Skills
- Strong partnering skills, with the ability to work across all levels of the organization and across multiple countries, effectively collaborating with multiple stakeholders
- Independent, self-motivated and well organized with an analytical mind
- Demonstrably trustworthy (thru reference checks)
- Strong sense of duty and initiative
- Fluent spoken and written English is a mandatory requirement
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position. Therefore employees assigned may be required to perform additional job tasks required by the manager.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/Disabled/Veterans. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Ericsson provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, protected veteran status, union membership or genetics information.
Ericsson complies with applicable country, state and all local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location across the world in which the company has facilities. In addition, Ericsson supports the UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights and the United Nations Global Compact.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and development.
Ericsson expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, protected veteran status, union membership or genetic information.
Ericsson will not discharge or in any other manner discriminate against employees or applicants because they have inquired about, discussed, or disclosed their own pay or the pay of another employee or applicant. However, employees who have access to the compensation information of other employees or applicants as a part of their essential job functions cannot disclose the pay of other employees or applicants to individuals who do not otherwise have access to compensation information, unless the disclosure is (a) in response to a formal complaint or charge, (b) in furtherance of an investigation, proceeding, hearing, or action, including an investigation conducted by Ericsson or (c) consistent with Ericsson’s legal duty to furnish information.
Employee Polygraph Protection Act Notice - Employers are generally prohibited from requiring or requesting any employee or job applicant to take a lie detector test, and from discharging, disciplining, or discriminating against an employee or prospective employee for refusing to take a test or for exercising other rights under the Act. For more information, visit https://www.dol.gov/whd/regs/compliance/posters/eppac.pdf.
Ericsson is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing reasonable accommodation for qualified disabled individuals during the application and hiring process. Ericsson will make modifications or adjustments to the job application or interview process that will enable a qualified applicant to be considered for a position. If you require an accommodation due to a disability, please contact Ericsson at firstname.lastname@example.org or (866) 374-2272 (US) or (877) 338-9966 (Canada) for further assistance.
Primary country and city: United States (US) || || Santa Clara || Consulting&SysInt
Req ID: 282255