Broadcast Support Specialist
The Broadcast Support Specialist role is responsible for working as part of a project delivery team to deliver new project requirements. The role is primarily focussed on project delivery and requires excellent time management and delivery commitment. The post holder will have expertise in building and configuring digital media technology systems in the areas of MAM, transcoding and encoding for file and live to VOD IP based services including related DRM solutions, and will be highly IT literate to systems admin level on both Linux and Windows based platforms. The role encompasses an element of 3rd line support, particularly in the delivery phase, and there is a strong focus on documenting and handing solutions over to operational support.
The post holder will also be expected to be ensuring high levels of customer satisfaction.
Reporting Lines and Key Relationships
The post holder reports to the Digital Media Technology Manager. They should develop strong relationships with their fellow team members, Specialist Technology teams, shift support team, Applications Development team, and Project Management teams.
Responsibilities & Tasks
- Take ownership of project deliverables as appropriate and requested by the Solutions architecture and delivery capability.
- Work aside other team members to deliver projects.
- Ensure technical queries are resolved promptly in order to ensure project delivery remains on time and on budget and delivers fit for purpose solutions into operations consistent with technical strategy.
- Identify areas for improvement in existing solutions and contribute to new solution strategy.
- Plan, agree and implement changes (following change control processes).
- Keep abreast of supplier and market technology trends and developments.
- Focus on customer service and solution quality
- Provide training sessions and ensure documentation provided to operations and support teams on new solutions as necessary.
- Act as point of support escalation for operational support team
- Substantial experience of project delivery and Support (including at least some demonstrable 3rd line experience) in a fast moving 24/7 environment.
- Substantial experience of building and supporting business applications on both Windows and Linux server platforms as well as in public (AWS) and private cloud environments.
- Knowledge and experience of troubleshooting one of the following Linux distributions: SuSe, Red Hat Enterprise, Centos.
- Knowledge and experience of troubleshooting on Windows 2008R2/2012 servers.
- Basic experience of Windows/Linux scripting and script debugging
- Good understanding of IP networking and common protocols.
- Experience of managing 3rd party software vendors with regard to ensuring maximum support effectiveness.
- Some knowledge of project work and methodologies, ideally gained through involvement in complex high profile projects in the broadcast sector.
- Implicit understanding and experience in optimising and analysing common video and audio codecs and schemes eg, HEVC, AVCi, MPEG encoding for single and multiple rendition ABR.
- Significant experience with building, configuring and deploying video transcoders eg: Telestream Vantage, Rhozet Carbon Server, and Ateme Titan.
- Significant experience with building, configuring and deploying live streaming encoders for IP based services eg: Elemental Live.
- Good understanding of DRM solutions and architectures for file and live to VOD and experience with some or all of Widevine Classic and Modular, iOS FPS, Playready, Marlin and Adobe Primetime
- Understanding and experience of building workflows and the methodologies of Digital Asset Management. Eg: Tedial, Aspera Orchestrator.
In addition, the following skills would be highly beneficial:
- Relational database queries (SQL) across a number of database server types including MYSQL and MSSQL.
- Bash, Perl, Sed, Awk, Windows Batch Scripting, etc…
- Set up, configuration, and maintenance of common Windows/Linux server applications, including Samba, PureFTPD, and Microsoft IIS.
- Knowledge of broadcast video formats, protocols, and encoding standards.
- Knowledge & experience of Storage and SAN technologies. In particular any experience with StorNext or similar Shared Disk File System, and Fibre Channel desirable.
- A strong and proven desire to build and expand personal technical expertise
- A clear ability to multi-task in a complex dynamic environment with regularly changing priorities
- A strong belief in and commitment to structured and formalised approaches to documentation
- Deep understanding of customer service with the ability to view systems in terms of service provision rather than discrete technical components, and should see technology as a business enabler
- Strong ownership and sense of responsibility
- An understanding that the role will occasionally require the flexibility to work out-of-hours and take ownership of service affecting issues until a satisfactory resolution is reached.
- A commitment to knowledge sharing and cross skilling and a general appreciation of the need to eliminate single points of failure
- High levels of persuasion, persistence and determination, as well as the ability to influence and negotiate with people and present ideas and issues with authority
Ericsson provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetics.
Ericsson complies with applicable country, state and all local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location across the world in which the company has facilities. In addition, Ericsson supports the UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights and the United Nations Global Compact.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and development.
Ericsson expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetic information.
Primary country and city: United Kingdom (GB) || || London || Consulting&SysInt; IT; ProdMgt; R&D; SalesStratMkt&ComMgt; ServEng; SharedServ; Stud&YP; Supply&Log
Req ID: 268153