This position will report to the Manager of Performance Engineering, and work closely with other performance test specialists, product developers and PLM (product line management) to characterize and improve the performance of a complex microservice system. Activities might range from troubleshooting VM NUMA settings right up to discussions of application algorithms.
Our microservice application composes a diverse technology stack, including Hardware, VM, Kubernetes cluster, Docker container, JVM, application software. All of these have opportunity for tuning and optimization that makes the product perform many times faster than a default implementation.
Our team conducts analysis and investigation across the full stack, proposing initiatives and optimizations that make the product functional at customer scale.
We also take ownership of development of our tool sets, including, but not limited to, Phoronix test suites, Funkload load testing tool, log gathering and analysis scripts, and Grafana dashboards.
- Work with development and product management to refine and specify performance requirements
- Define, setup, and run manual and automated performance measurements, then analyze and characterize system performance and limitations
- Define performance and scalability metrics, and enable broad company visibility
- Look for performance optimization opportunities across multiple technology layers, and characterize impact of same
- Codify and report best practices for downstream teams to enable efficient and effective tuning for specific field installations
- Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Engineering, Information Systems, other related field
- Minimum of 3-5 years in performance engineering or related field
- Demonstrated success designing, provisioning, and maintaining large scale performance testing environments
- Good understanding of software applications and the interdependencies of hardware and software configuration
- Excellent written and verbal communication, problem solving, interpersonal and time management skills
- Extensive experience with enterprise Linux applications
- Experience with scripting languages, (Python, bash)
- Experience with cloud native applications (microservices, docker, kubernetes, AWS) is an asset
WHY IS ERICSSON A GREAT PLACE TO WORK?
Ericsson is the driving force behind the Networked Society where every person and every industry is empowered to reach their full potential. Mobility, broadband and the cloud are transforming the world, enabling industries and society to provide better services, capture new opportunities, improve businesses, increase efficiency, and build new user experiences.
Our services, software and infrastructure support every major telecom operator in the world. The transformation that this brings allows people, business, and society to fulfill their potential and build a more sustainable future.
With about 101,000 employees and customers in 180 countries, we combine global scale with technology and services leadership. We support networks that connect more than 2.5 billion subscribers. 40 percent of the world’s mobile traffic is carried over Ericsson networks. And our SEK 100 billion investment in research and development over the last three years ensure that our solutions – and our customers – are at the forefront of innovation.
At Ericsson, we give our employees the freedom to think big. Your ideas and innovations can turn into achievements that impact society and change the world.
Are you ready to be a change-maker? Learn what makes YOU + Ericsson a powerful combination.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position. Therefore employees assigned may be required to perform additional job tasks required by the manager.
Primary country and city: Canada (CA) || || Ottawa || ProdMgt