RAN Architecture Evolution with Cloud and Edge Computing
Position Domain and Justification
There are continues customer requirements to adopt the emerging technologies of other industries, e.g. Cloud/Edge computing, artificial intelligence etc. in LTE and 5G product. The legacy RAN architecture needs to be modified to address these requirements with well-balanced design trade-offs between cost, performance and implementability.
The role does not cover these emerging technologies in depth but rather their implication on RAN, especially from architecture point of view. The position is located in customer adaptation in PDU 4G5G, where the customer requirement, especially MNEA customers like CMCC, Softbank etc. on the RAN evolution is focused. To ensure the RAN evolution solution stays competitive, it needs:
· To balance the legacy product architecture modification cost and implementability and new customer requirement.
· To flexibly support cloud and edge computing. Enable data driven applications, cross legacy software module joint optimization, and autonomous and predictive features.
· To address the trend of merging compute and communication, pilot architecture evolution by virtualization and softwarization to enable the network resources easier to scale and load balanced.
· To create flexible, adaptable networks architecture that help operators prepare for an unpredictable future.
· To enable new service opportunities for the deployment of additional value-add mobile services that generate revenue for operators.
· To ensure diverse customer requirements are considered in RAN evolution, not only from traditional radio operator, but also from possible industries.
· To have high requirement on proof-of-concept implementations, supporting important architecture decision in early phase of production.
Position Authority and Responsibility
The role is expected to drive RAN architecture evolution with cloud and edge computing, and focus on modification on legacy RAN architecture design, e.g. analysis requirements from customer and new emerging technology from other industries, drive proof of concept development and testbed development and share knowledge with product development.
The intent with the position is to address system architecture tradeoff between cost, performance and implementability and to enable product to support these emerging technologies earlier, shorten time to market, and provide knowledge and experiences for product development to select the right direction and reduce the risk of later development.
The holder of this role is responsible for:
· Engage in direct dialogs with customers at MNEA (like China Mobile, Softbank, etc) to make sure customer requirements in the cloud and edge computing has been fulfilled by designed new architecture efficiently.
· Drive the initial and quick development (Prototype of Concept) and to collect knowledge and experiences to future product development, break-down of proposed solution to guide sub-module design.
· Drive cooperation with relevant players in the eco-system to improve e.g. efficiency, performance, intelligence or implementability etc., of the RAN solution.
· Drive technical studies that explore different RAN architecture alternatives.
· Explore emerging solutions from other industries to improve RAN architecture, special focus on machine learning, open software and edge computing. Encourage knowledge sharing and build up competence across sites, teams.
· Drive cooperation with related players in the eco-system, e.g. UE vendors, test instrument vendors, and antenna vendors etc. to gain understanding and improve the proposed architecture solutions.
· Drive technology innovation and contribute with innovative ideas and secure the IPR is protected with patents.
· Track and influence standards.
Ericsson provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetics.
Ericsson complies with applicable country, state and all local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location across the world in which the company has facilities. In addition, Ericsson supports the UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights and the United Nations Global Compact.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and development.
Ericsson expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetic information.
Primary country and city: China (CN) || || Beijing || R&D
Req ID: 266496