Master Thesis on extending service mesh for edge cloud
Service mesh technologies have been adopted to more and more microservice based systems (e.g., Kubernetes). A service mesh offers a set of common functionalities for microservice based applications, such as communication, service discovery, routing, load balancing, security and tracing. The main benefits include among other things easier and faster development of applications, as well as integrated observability and manageability. At the same time, the mobile edge cloud is identified as one key technology to support services requiring low latency or massive data offload, e.g., intelligent transport and VR/AR. Mobile edge cloud consists of multiple sites at the edge of the network, which usually are geographically distributed and heterogeneous in their HW/SW setup. Emerging applications running on edge clouds are expected to be designed cloud-natively, i.e. as microservice architectures. However, today’s service meshes are mainly designed for centralized cloud environments within single datacenter, and have quite limited support for distributed/edge cloud scenarios.
The goal of this master thesis work is to identify the problems and issues when migrating the service mesh into the mobile edge cloud, and design the required extensions on top of existing service mesh solutions (e..g, Istio) in order to tackle the identified problems and make them optimized for mobile edge cloud environments in which the infrastructure is geographic distributed and structured in a hierarchical way. Example of such extensions could be optimized load balancing or service routing mechanism. It is also important to verify and evaluate the devised solutions and mechanisms in a proof-of-concept demonstrator, i.e. a real or emulated edge cloud environment.
The thesis work consists of several items:
- Investigate the existing service mesh solutions, e.g., Istio, Consul Connect, and Linkerd;
- Understand and identify the problems and issues requirements and challenges when applied those existing service mesh solutions into the mobile edge cloud;
- For the identified problem(s), design the solution according to the above understanding and identify the potential pros and cons of the solution;
- Implement the most promising of the proposed solution(s);
- Setup the programming and testing environment;
- Verify and evaluate the solution(s) in the setup environment;
- Documentation of the solution(s) and evaluation(s);
Qualifications and Experience
- MSc Student in Computer Science/Engineering or other related fields
- Good knowledge of distributed systems and classic TCP/IP networking
- Understanding of cloud technologies like virtualization and container technologies, messaging systems RESTful architectures, etc.
- Good programing skills are required; knowledge of C++, Python or Go are preferred.
- Being familiar with programming environment in Linux.
- Being familiar with container environment (e.g., k8s) setup
The work is expected to start in January/February 2019. The work is proposed for one student for a duration of 6 months. Location is at Ericsson Research in Stockholm (Kista), Sweden. For informal queries, feel free to email Xuejun Cai at firstname.lastname@example.org
Please submit your application in English as soon as possible - we are working continuously with candidate selection.
Ericsson provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetics.
Ericsson complies with applicable country, state and all local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location across the world in which the company has facilities. In addition, Ericsson supports the UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights and the United Nations Global Compact.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and development.
Ericsson expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetic information.
Primary country and city: Sweden (SE) || || Stockholm || Stud&YP
Req ID: 261490