Director/Sr Manager - R&D (Global AI Accelerator India)
Ericsson enables communications service providers to capture the full value of connectivity. The company’s portfolio spans Networks, Digital Services, Managed Services, and Emerging Business and is designed to help our customers go digital, increase efficiency, find new revenue streams, and create new user experiences. Ericsson’s investments in innovation have delivered the benefits of telephony and mobile broadband to billions of people around the world ensuring our solutions – and our customers – are at the forefront of innovation. We support networks that connect more than 2.5 billion subscribers. With over 90,000 employees and customers in 180 countries, we combine global scale with technology and service leadership. 40 percent of the world’s mobile traffic is carried over an Ericsson network. And, our Technology for Good and Connect to Learn programs include creating technology that makes it easier to save lives, feed societies, bring technology to emerging markets and connectivity to remote areas, and grow businesses and prosperity.
At Ericsson, we give our employees the freedom to think big and navigate their career, on a global scale. We create technology that helps others, from helping people enjoy their favourite content to helping people recover from natural disasters by enabling better communications between rescue workers. Your ideas and innovations can turn into achievements that impact society and change the world, creating new connections, new possibilities, and new capabilities. We find that Ericsson is at its best when we bring together the diverse skills of our people. Working across business areas, across cultures, across geographical borders, across technical disciplines. More often than not, across ground-breaking solutions. Next generation technology can be staggeringly complex. But the simpler it is to use; the more people benefit from it. Join us and help build technology that makes it simple to connect with information, business, societies, and each other.
Machine Intelligence at Ericsson:
It will be practically impossible for human brains to understand how to run and optimize a 5G network, Machine Learning (ML) and other Artificial Intelligence (AI) technologies- will be vital for us to handle that complexity. We are setting up a Global AI Accelerator in the US, Sweden and India, with 300 experts, to fast-track our strategy execution
Machine Intelligence (MI), the combination of Machine Learning and other Artificial Intelligence technologies is what Ericsson uses to drive thought leadership to automate and transform Ericsson offerings and operations. MI is a key competence to enable new and emerging business. This includes development of models, frameworks and infrastructure that we use to power our 5G networks and services. We engage in both academic and industry collaborations to drive the digitalization of Ericsson and the Industry. Our global group develop state of the art solutions that simplify and automate processes in our products and services and create new value through data insights.
Ericsson’s Global AI Accelerator (GAIA) is a global team of talented data scientists, data engineers and business translators, chartered to accelerate the transformational journey for our customers and their customers. Teams in GAIA India, located in Bangalore and Chennai, work with technologists, engineers and operators around the world to build revolutionary solutions and models that drive economic growth in the real world.
Senior Manager – R&D for GAIA India shall manage teams that will be working on high impact initiatives with other specialists in Machine Intelligence to drive growth and economic profitability for Ericsson and its customers by accelerating current Ericsson offerings as well create new offerings in the areas of MI driven 4G and 5G network, distributed cloud, IoT and other emerging businesses. As an R&D Manager, he/she shall have two job roles – the primary role of a Product Development Leader and the mandatory secondary role of a Line Manager for R&D teams. Line Manager is a role in the line organization (the operational organization), with the purpose to manage their area of responsibility. He/she shall have one, or more, sub-ordinates and are appointed by a superior manager and approved by the appointees. Line Managers act per the Ericsson Leadership Framework and promote the corporate values, ethics and culture of the organization to ensure excellent performance. Reports to the Head of GAIA India, that is a part Ericsson R&D; and shall be a part of the GAIA India leadership team. Interfaces with GAIA R&D teams in other locations such as North America and Sweden; and with key stakeholders from Business and Market Areas.
- Bachelors/Masters in Engineering from any of the reputed institutes. First Class, preferably with Distinction. Masters in Business Administration (MBA) or equivalent Post Graduate Diploma would be an added advantage.
- Overall industry experience of around 15 years.
- At least 5 years’ experience as a manager, preferably in design or systems management.
- Experience in managing teams working on AI, ML, Big Data and Analytics would be an added advantage.
- Sound technical knowledge across areas and excellent understanding of business issues. Ability to create plans to align technical issues with business strategy.
- Strong ability to see the whole picture and to focus on the important details in a pragmatic and result oriented way with ability to challenge when needed.
- Proven ability to act at both the strategic and operational levels.
- Strong partnering skills, with the ability to work across all levels of the organization and across multiple countries, effectively collaborating with multiple stakeholders
- Excellent people management skills to attract motivate and retain talent.
- Excellent communication skills.
- Independent self-motivated and well organized with analytical mind.
- Demonstrably trustworthy (thru reference checks)
- Strong sense of duty and initiative
- Responsible for overseeing the development, support, maintenance and implementation of projects handled by GAIA India team(s).
- Responsible for overall success of the GAIA India unit, comprising of multiple technology/product teams through strategic planning and alignment of units with broader organizational business strategy.
- Manage Team(s) that:
- Lead functional and technical analysis within Ericsson organization and strategic customers to understand MI-driven business needs and opportunities
- Contribute to rapid and iterative development of high quality ML/AI applications. This includes working with petabytes of 4G/5G-networks, IoT and exogenous data, and proposing/selecting/testing predictive models, recommendation engines, anomaly detection systems, statistical model, deep learning, reinforcement learning and other machine learning systems
- Lead studies and find creative usage of new and/or existing data sources. Work with Data Architects to leverage existing data models and build new ones, as needed.
- Collaborate with product development teams and partners in Ericsson Businesses to industrialize machine learning models and solutions as part of Ericsson offerings including providing source code, workflows and documents
- Work with new technologies and champion them in MI Communities within Ericsson.
- Provide MI Competence build-up in Ericsson Businesses and Customer Serving Units
- Develop new and apply/extend existing, concepts, methodologies, techniques for cross functional initiatives
- Responsible for overall P&L and technical growth of the specific line units.
- Responsible for developing appropriate processes and road map for the team(s) including hiring plans, training requirements, staffing etc. Requires extensive knowledge of major segments in the organization, knowledge of several disciplines and ability to integrate critical information from many diverse areas.
- Course of actions are guided by corporate goals and strategy only.
- Resolves critical issues impacting overall organization direction and results.
Ericsson provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetics. Ericsson complies with applicable country, state and all local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location across the world in which the company has facilities. In addition, Ericsson supports the UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights and the United Nations Global Compact. This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and development. Ericsson expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetic information.