Redbee Media is a world-leading media management company providing technology and creative solutions that help channels, broadcasters, content rights holders and brand owners reach and engage with their audiences in traditional and new ways.
In the rapidly changing media landscape consumers are exerting greater control over the content they watch and how they choose to engage. Redbee is finding innovative ways to enable companies to unlock new revenue streams and build audience share on multiple platforms including traditional TV channels and on demand services.
Redbee’s client list includes international broadcasters and advertisers across TV, web and mobile such as Discovery International, BBC, Channel 4, Virgin Media, UKTV, Nike, Canal+, Lonely Planet, and Action Aid. To ensure professional growth, Ericsson offers a stimulating work experience, continuous learning & growth opportunities that allow you to acquire the knowledge & skills necessary to reach your career goals.
Job Title: Subtitler Access Services
Location Base: Glasgow (Scotland)
Subtitlers provide live and pre-recorded subtitles for a wide range of television output in a way that conveys the intentions and information of the original to viewers who are deaf or hard of hearing.
Live subtitles are produced primarily using voice recognition software and a process called re-speaking. As well as repeating words, subtitlers speak punctuation and other commands. Red Bee Media’s live subtitling output includes national and regional news, live sport and high-profile events such as Wimbledon and Prime Minister’s Question Time.
Pre-recorded subtitles are time-coded to ensure subtitles match the audio track and are produced using a variety of processes. In addition to the words themselves, file subtitlers need to consider such factors as reading speeds, descriptive labels and how best to convey the flavour and feel of a programme.
Department - Access Services connects deaf and hard of hearing viewers, and blind and partially sighted viewers, to thousands of hours of content through subtitling, signing and audio description.
We are looking to fill a number of positions and to build a talent pool from which to fill further vacancies, as required.
Access Services operates in the broadcast environment, providing a service 24 hours a day, seven days a week. Subtitlers must be prepared and able to work on a rotational shift pattern covering a range of shifts.
This role would be ideally suited to graduates with strong language and communication skills, and an interest in the media.
- An excellent standard of written English, including spelling grammar and meticulous attention to detail. Able to proofread, review and correct own work as well as text and scripts created by others to ensure 100% accuracy.
- Able to edit written text or soundtrack into clear, easy-to-read subtitles which retain the full sense and flavour of the programme.
- Experience of using proofreading and editing skills is essential.
- A clear and confident speaking voice.
- Able to quickly learn and adapt to new technologies and processes and react positively to change.
- Able to provide high quality subtitles for a broad range of programming including news and current affairs, live sport, documentaries, music events, children’s programming, dramas and soaps.
- Strong time-management skills. Able to work under pressure, prioritise and produce high quality subtitles to tight deadlines.
- Able to remain calm, think quickly and make good editorial decisions within the unpredictable and pressurised environment of live television.
- Able to work co-operatively with others as part of a team. Able and willing to share and receive information.
- Show initiative and the ability to work flexibly and/or adapt to changing circumstances.
- Take responsibility for the quality and delivery of own work at all times.
- A commitment to continuous improvement in performance on a team and individual basis.
- An understanding of the difficulties hearing-impaired people face when watching television.
- An interest in, and a wide knowledge of, a very wide range of television output, and an awareness of ongoing developments in the broadcasting industry.
- An awareness of, and interest in, the work of Red Bee Media and its Access Services team.
- A keen interest in current affairs, politics and sport.