Senior Group Legal Counsel
Part of Group Function Legal Affairs in Market Area Middle East and Africa (MMEA), the Legal Counsel will be instrumental in ensuring compliance with legal requirements and ethical standards; contributing to meet the commercial and business objectives of MMEA; advising, drafting, reviewing and negotiating agreements and other documents; protecting investments in technology, know-how and marketing and avoid undue restrictions from others. Based in Johannesburg, the incumbent will, with high level of integrity and business acumen, provide legal subject matter leadership (excluding finance, insurance, labor and tax related support) to the business activities of MMEA and the Ericsson Group.
· Provide qualified and highly efficient legal support to identified MMEA clients, including support in legally complex business transactions.
· Drive defined areas of expertise or projects.
· Drive dispute resolution.
· Draft, review and negotiate various kinds of business agreements and other legal documents.
· Facilitate the relevant commercial operations of the MMEA clients and assist the clients with appropriate risk analysis.
· Be a contact person for one or more identified MMEA clients and as such manage and be responsible for the coordination of the legal support vis-à-vis such clients.
· Development of internal Group policies, strategies and work tools.
· Support compliance with laws, regulations and internal policies and directives
· Provide legal training, also at higher level, to MMEA clients.
· Assist and assume responsibility in all other matters within the field of responsibility of Ericsson Group Function Legal Affairs.
· Education: Master of Law
· English law and common law expertise
· Ericsson is an equal opportunity, affirmative action employee. As per our employment equity strategies Affirmative Action and/or EE candidates will be given preference.
· More than five years’ experience of practicing qualified commercial law and preferably international experience relevant to IT and or Telecommunications Industry.
· Language fluent in English. Proficient in French will be a plus.
· Proven track record in providing highly qualified and efficient general commercial legal support and assist the clients with appropriate risk analysis.
· Recognized experience, skills and competence to independently handle legal matters as well as handling any counterparty in negotiations.
· Ability to develop and drive new working methods and tools and having an interest in providing legal training.
· Knowledge of local laws and regulations as well as international business law.
· Trade compliance knowledge
· Experience required in new business models such as technology, cloud, software, content licensing, revenue share schemes.
· Solid business acumen and international skills.
· Good presentation, drafting and negotiation skills.
· Demonstrated high integrity and ethics coupled with drive and persistency.
· Collaborative team player who works effectively in a multinational matrix organization.
· Proven track record in effectively building relationships, communicating and engaging at all levels.
Please note that location is South Africa
Ericsson provides equal employment opportunities (EEO) to all employees and applicants for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetics.
Ericsson complies with applicable country, state and all local laws governing nondiscrimination in employment in every location across the world in which the company has facilities. In addition, Ericsson supports the UN Guiding Principles for Business and Human Rights and the United Nations Global Compact.
This policy applies to all terms and conditions of employment, including recruiting, hiring, placement, promotion, termination, layoff, recall, transfer, leaves of absence, compensation, training and development.
Ericsson expressly prohibits any form of workplace harassment based on race, color, religion, sex, sexual orientation, marital status, pregnancy, parental status, national origin, ethnic background, age, disability, political opinion, social status, veteran status, union membership or genetic information.
Primary country and city: South Africa (ZA) || || Johannesburg || SharedServ
Req ID: 244434