System Architect - Routing & Switching
Date: Apr 17, 2014
Location San Jose, California, US
The primary responsibility of Ericsson Product Development Unit IP Operating Systems (PDU IPOS) Systems and Technology (S&T) unit is to architect, develop, evolve platform independent scalable IP Networking SW infrastructure and network OS that powers Ericsson’s IP Edge, Metro/Mobile Backhaul Routers, Switches, Subscriber-aware Mobile and Fixed IP Gateways as well as high-touch IP Services (L4-L7) Gateways. IPOS SW infrastructure includes dual-stack IP Routing & Switching Suites, platform abstraction layers and IPOS SDK/APIs for hosted gateway applications. Systems and Technology (S&T) unit within PDU IPOS is responsible for end-to-end IP SW systemization & evolution with key areas of focus include (not limited to): Distributed Forwarding Control layer with chipset specific SDK adaptations, IP Routing & Switching Protocols and IP Services Applications including Interface to Routing Systems (I2RS) and Open Flow Network Abstraction via SDN/OF Agent. Our mission & vision is pinned on a single IPOS for building state-of-the-art IP control plane solution across Ericsson IP and Broadband portfolio.
S&T Organization Profile and Roles & Responsibility:
- System Architecture Owner. Enforce governance of SW architecture and its evolution through Technical Council (TC). Staff members are members of these TCs as SME (subject matter experts). Some staff members get nominated to lead technical councils.
- Senior Staff members take the role of Technical Lead and/or APO (Area Product Owner) within cross-functional team settings responsible for the entire development process.
- As SME (Subject Matter Experts), an S&T staff works closely with the IPOS Product Line in defining system evolution & product/portfolio strategies by contributing to strategic & feature specific studies, prototyping & hands-on design activities.
- Staff members are required to maintain effective engagement with customers, market units and business units. Interfacing towards S&T counterparts of other product development unit (PDU) and Business Unit (BU) is an essential operational activity of S&T staff. Broadly acknowledged as experts, staff members influence and direct corporate directions through formal and informal interactions within Ericsson.
- S&T staff contributes to company-internal & external industry forums; works with industry bodies that define standards in the networking space.
- Regularly interacts with senior management, major customers and industry groups.
- Synthesizes competitive technology evolution and break-through innovations and SWOT (strength, weakness, opportunity & threat) analysis of leading IP players in Telecom Industry.
Competence Profile of the successful S&T System Architect:
- The successful candidate will require an excellent track record that exhibits the following capabilities and skills:
- Knowledge and experience with IP Router & Switch software architectures, control plane/forwarding plane interaction, and specifically, carrier-grade infrastructure development with end-to-end lifecycle.
- 7+ years of C/C++ network/socket/distributed programing experience in design and implementation of carrier-grade switch/router-based products.
- An advanced level of technical expertise in at least one key area (preferably several key areas) relevant to IP & Broadband network architecture
- IP version 4 and 6 Unicast/Multicast routing protocols (OSPFv2/v3, ISIS, BGP, PIM-SM, IGMP, MLD), TCP/UDP and MPLS (RSVP/LDP)
- Switching protocols: IEEE 802.1Q, 802.1ad (QinQ), 802.1AX (LAG), Provider Bridging (PB) and Provider Backbone Bridging (PBB), Shortest Path Bridging (SPB), Bridge Virtual Interface (VBI)
- L3 Based: VRF/L3VPN, 6PE/6VPN, VxLAN/TRILL, NVGRE, softGRE, mVPN.
- L2 Based: Ethernet VPN (EVPN) based on BGP and MPLS, Virtual Private LAN Switching (VPLS), Virtual Leased Line (VLL)/Virtual Pseudo Wire Switching (VPWS), LLDP.
- Deep understanding of technologies that would enable network functions separation, centralization, isolation, programmable & on-demand orchestration – what is referred to as SDN technologies (e.g. OpenFlow, I2RS, PCE, segment routing etc.)
- Deep understanding and development experience of Linux Kernel & User Space development, Virtualization Technologies enabled by various VMM/Hypervisors, Cloud/OpenStack would be an asset.
- Deep understanding of high availability requirement and modular design.
- Strong creative ability demonstrated with an exceptional track record of innovation and people skills.
- Willingness to take on any tasks be it design, coding or testing that demonstrate commitment to team’s goal to the extend
- Exceptional analytical and communication skills, with excellent skills in oral and written English.
- Ability to target communication appropriately across a wide spectrum of audiences within the team and cross teams.
- Excellent people and leadership skills with ability to work in a multinational, multi-site cross-functional teams/program set-up.
- Willingness to travel across inter-continental & global R&D design centers.
DISCLAIMER: The above statements are intended to describe the general nature and level of work being performed by employees assigned to this classification. They are not intended to be construed as an exhaustive list of all responsibilities, duties and skills required of employees assigned to this position. Therefore employees assigned may be required to perform additional job tasks required by the manager.
We are proud to be an EEO/AA employer M/F/D/V. We maintain a drug-free workplace and perform pre-employment substance abuse testing.
Primary country and city: United States (US) || California || San Jose || R&D
Nearest Major Market: San Jose
Nearest Secondary Market: Palo Alto
Job Segment: Architecture, Telecom, Telecommunications, Linux, Testing, Technology, Engineering
We noticed that you are already a member of our Talent Community. Please enter your password to continue.
We noticed that you already started to apply for a job in our system. Please enter your password to continue.
Already a Member
You are already a user of this site. Please sign in.
Start Your Application
Create a new account now!
* required field