Principal Engineer Software Defined Networking (SDN) and Cloud Technology
Apply for Job
Date: Jul 20, 2014
Location: San Jose, California, US
Ericsson is world’s leading provider of communications technology and services. Our offerings include services, consulting, software and infrastructure within Information and Communications Technology.
Using innovation to empower people, business and society, Ericsson is working towards the Networked Society: a world connected in real time that will open up opportunities to create freedom, transform society and drive solutions to some of our planet’s greatest challenges.
We are truly a global company, operating across borders in over 180 countries, offering a diverse, performance-driven culture and an innovative and engaging environment. As an Ericsson employee, you will have freedom to think big and the support to turn ideas into achievements. Continuous learning and growth opportunities allow you to acquire the knowledge and skills necessary to progress and reach your career goals. We invite you to join our team.
Software Defined Networking (SDN) and Cloud Technology
IP & Broadband Technology Team, “CTO Office”
The primary mission of the Architecture unit, within Ericsson's Technology organization is to drive technology innovation, and leadership, in the areas of IP & Broadband architecture and technologies. Architectures must maximize value and reuse of architectural solutions across the product portfolios. Various activities aim to produce deliverables that can be used as the foundation for technology strategy, development and product investment decisions. The over-arching goal is to position Ericsson as the thought and technology leader in the industry.
This team consists of experienced system architects and technologists with key areas of focus include (not limited to): IP Edge Multi-Service Routers, Transport network solutions/routers, Optical and Microwave network technologies, common IP routing software architecture, Application of SDN, NFV, and Cloud technologies across the IP and Broadband portfolio.
This role will provide technology leadership, and vision, to the team in terms of focus, technical direction, and breadth of coverage of the spectrum of relevant technologies in the broad area of Software Defined Networking (SDN) and Cloud Technologies.
The goal of the position is to develop and drive Ericsson’s service provider SDN technology and cloud technology strategy across access, transport, edge, and datacenters. Service provider SDN extends from the basic programmability and separation of control and forwarding in a node or for DC networking to an end-to-end wide area network with management, orchestration, control, and service exposure. The day-to-day work for this position will be carried out in close collaboration across business units, development units, product lines, Ericsson research, open source forums, and external partners. The role will include managing strategic collaboration open source communities, partners and eco-system players.
• Assume leading role in architectural analysis, definition and recommendation of target SDN and Cloud architectures as related to the broader deployment of Video/Multi-media and other content over Ericsson’s IP platforms and Network Management and Orchestration solutions used for both mobile and fixed networks, based on competence, relationships and structures, which ensure impact on the roadmaps.
• Identify and anticipate key trends that impact strategic technology selection enabling SDN and Cloud impact throughout the product portfolio
• Specify how SW and HW architectures should evolve to address new technical requirements; leverage the availability of new enabling technologies.
• Develop an evolved SDN and Cloud Target Software Architecture with a focus on key architecture areas relevant to the team; translate into target architectures and implementations.
• Support engagement within key SDN and Cloud Open Source for a including (but not limited to) OpenDaylight, Open Network Foundation (ONF), OpenStack, and ONOS.
• Define the architecture of OpenStack (Quantum, Nova etc) plugins and related agents and interfaces with the Ericsson products.
• Defining the architecture for SDN (Software Defined Networking) Controller and Applications and related North-Bound and South-Bound interfaces.
• Provide subject expertise in key areas in interactions with potential customers.
• Identify key trends and emerging technologies that can impact architectures and product strategy.
• Champion areas of research in emerging areas as well as technologies identified during the innovation process.
• Provide practical, innovative solutions to complex problems
The role will contribute in several of the following areas:
- Target Architecture: Understand potentially complex cross product implications, communicate, influence and work with a wide audience in order to help drive the target SDN/Cloud architecture across the product portfolio to maximize Ericsson's long-term competitiveness and profitability. Particular focus area for this candidate will be on SDN/Cloud technologies and orchestration impacting IP Services, Multi-media and applications.
- Customer Engagements: Provide subject expertise related to target SDN/Cloud architectures applicable to mobile and fixed packet network, Optical and Broadband networks, 3G/4G mobile IP networks with potential customers.
- Innovation: Drive presence within OpenDaylight, OpenStack and ONOS communities. Identify key trends and emerging technologies that can enhance or impact the solution architecture to maximize the value of Ericsson’s product offering. Supporting a culture of idea generation / thought leadership is expected.
- Technology Strategy: Contribute to technology and business planning for the broader organization
The successful candidate will require an excellent track record that exhibits most or all of the following capabilities and skills:
- 10+ years of broadly based technical experience in system/network architecture, design and implementation in networking, virtualization, cloud, telecommunications and related fields.
- Deep technical domain expertise in SDN, virtualization, cloud, orchestration, network management. Background from wide area networking and datacenter networking.
- Strong background on the technologies such as Server and Network Virtualization as well as Network Function Virtualization (NFV) and Software Defined Networking (SDN).
- Extensive, knowledge and practical application experience working in advanced software defined networks concepts, including OpenStack (quantum, nova etc). Experience with development of Quantum and Nova plugins / agents and interfaces for network and server virtualization solutions desirable.
- Strong background on hypervisor solutions (e.g. Xen, KVM etc),
- Strong background on scalable and high performance SDN data plane solutions on various line card functions as well as soft switches such as Open vSwitch.
- Familiarity with the existing SDN Controller architectures (e.g. NOX/POX, ODL etc) and SDN Applications.
- Strong knowledge of IPv4, IPv6, MPLS, Traffic Management, QOS, VLAN and DiffServ
- Strong creative ability with an exceptional track record of innovation and IPR generation.
- Ability to drive the industry and manage open source projects. Demonstrated experience with Open Source SDN Controller solutions and OpenStack development.
- An industry recognized level of expertise in the SDN / NFV / Cloud arena relevant to IP & Broadband network deployments and services.
- Strong creative ability demonstrated with an exceptional track record of innovation and IPR generation.
- Excellent knowledge of routing protocols and their application
- Exceptional analytical and communication skills, with excellent skills in oral and written English.
- Ability to target communication appropriately across a wide spectrum of audiences, e.g. from implementers to executives.
- A regular speaker at industry events.
- Experience in technology strategy development.
- Demonstrated excellence in technology transfer from research to product.
- A highly developed business mindset.
- Excellent interpersonal and customer interaction skills.
- BSCS/EE, Masters or Ph.D. preferred.
- Willingness to travel.
Primary country and city: United States (US) || California || San Jose || Consulting&SysInt IT; ProdMgt; R&D SalesStratMkt&ComMgt ServEng; SharedServ; Stud&YP Supply&Log
Nearest Major Market: San Jose
Nearest Secondary Market: Palo Alto
Apply for Job
We noticed that you are already a member of our Talent Community. Please enter your password to continue.
We noticed that you already started to apply for a job in our system. Please enter your password to continue.
Already a Member
You are already a user of this site. Please sign in.